Access control systems are an important part of running a business that needs to keep areas highly secure and accessible only to certain employees. Access control systems can be used on doors within an office or facility, but also for gates to keep unauthorized vehicles from entering a property. FiberTechs is a full-service access control systems contractor that can help with installing a system that will provide the proper security for your business.
What is the Purpose of an Access Control System?
The most clear and important purpose of access control systems is to keep unauthorized people out of an area. This could include the front door of a building, a parking garage or parking lot, server room, records room, warehouse, or any other rooms or locations that contain sensitive systems or information. Systems can also be designed to be more secure depending on how important the security is for the location. A basic access control system could be something as simple as a keypad or swipe, whereas a more advanced system can utilize several levels of authentication including fingerprints on top of the basic methods. An access control system also helps connect crucial security systems together such as monitored alarm systems and video surveillance systems.
Benefits of Access Control Systems
While the security benefits of installing an access control system speak for themselves, there are a number of other benefits to having an experienced contractor install one of these systems on your property. Some of these benefits include:
- Simplify the management of access to the building. Keys do not have to be made and distributed to employees and personnel. Temporary or permanent credentials are issued.
- No risk of misplaced or stolen keys. Having a key fall into the wrong hands can be dangerous, and expensive if keys need to be replaced frequently.
- Ability to track who comes and goes. With traditional keys, there is no record of who enters an area. With a keypad you can have that information readily available.
- Eliminate the need for facility staff to manually lock and unlock doors each day. In addition, eliminate the risk of forgetting or improperly locking doors. Door access systems automatically unlock and lock on a schedule.
Access Control System Size and Function Factors
If you are considering access control system installation, you need to think through the design and function you want the system to have. Some of the things you should consider include:
- Number of people who will be using the system on a regular basis
- Number of rooms or areas that need to be controlled
- Are any of the doors crucial for fire safety
- Types of tracking system to keep track of who uses the system
- Battery backups in case of power outages
- Video surveillance needs
Some of the types of access control systems you see in many locations include:
- CCTV Systems
- Stand-alone locks
- Card readers
- Key switches
- Biometric systems
- Automatic door opening systems
Some of these can be used in conjunction with each other to add layers of security.
Access Control Systems Installation
If you would like to integrate an access control system into your business’s office or facility, FiberTechs can make that happen. We have the resources to integrate access control systems into your location’s current layout and can integrate the door locks, alarm systems and other hardware into software systems that your business can use to oversee every aspect of the system. Reach out to FiberTechs today to discuss the level of access control system you are interested in, and learn more about our services.